Wednesday, August 12, 2009

When we say to ourselves “Tama na!” do we really have the strength and will power to really do it? A reflection ...


When we say to ourselves “Tama na!” do we really have the strength and will power to really do it? A reflection on the example of the late President Cory Aquino …




As I and my family gathered around the television since this morning to witness a very important unfolding of tomorrow’s history … I can not help ask myself questions that I hope I can answer truthfully, not only for my sake, but for the sake of my children and their children’s children … my posterity … your posterity… our posterity.

“Tama na!” … this is a call for change made popular by Ma’am Cory, first shouted in the streets and aired via the media almost 25 years ago. With that in mind, I asked these questions:

• Where are we now?
• Did we heed the call for change?
• What have we done since then to make the called change happen?

I decided to change the questions into:

• Where am I now?
• Did I heed the call for change?
• What have I done since then to make the called change happen?

You see, I believe that change must start with me, because if there’s one thing I have that others can not and do not have control over, it is my freedom to choose to do right over wrong.

Many a times, it’s good to look at the forest first, then the trees. But to be most effective, I believe that we must look closely into the trees, to see the beauty of the forest. In like manner, change must start with us as individuals, in our roles as wives, mothers, daughters, etc. It’s inside going out, from individuals, then families, then communities, then the world. As Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to make”.

So I asked myself again the same questions, this time, more specifically …

• Am I a better wife to my husband?
• Am I a better Mom to my kids?
• How’s my relationship with my neighbors?
• Am I a good employee?
• Do I earnestly seek the good in others?
• Do I live the Golden Rule?
• Am I a contributing member of the society?


President Cory’s death happened, I am not so sure if this is the right term … in the best time, the right time. In a few months, national election will happen. I hope her death will inspire the whole Filipino nation to choose wisely this time. It is my hope that in spite of and despite the prevalent poverty in the country, Filipinos will opt not to sell their votes. That all of us will have the strength and will power to really mean the words “Tama na!”.

It is my hope and prayer that politicians will run for public office (this time) with pure intents in their heart to serve the public truthfully and honestly, to set aside their personal interests and place the interest of the people over and above their own.

For the younger generation, hopefully the phrase “Tama na” would propel you to be engaged in a good cause, to prepare yourselves to be the best that you can ever be. In so doing you will be able to make a difference by serving the people and the country through your talents and skills.

I told my husband as we were pondering on the situation the Philippines is in … how we as a nation and as a people hunger for anything that’s good. Manny Pacquiao’s achievement as a boxer has united us as a people. It is common knowledge that during his fights, crime rates turned to almost zero nationwide. We all shouted and cheered when he released his fists towards his opponent. When he was declared winner we shouted and rejoiced together. Even I, a non-boxing enthusiast, cried when he won, not because of him actually, but because I felt very proud at that moment, to be a Filipino.

Let’s do something this time, to really mean the words “Tama na!”. Let us vote wisely. Choose the best people who will really serve our country.

To those who are running for public office, please be honest and sincere. Intent to do good is not enough. Your actions, past and present, must speak for you. Talk about these when you campaign. Integrity is of vital importance. Respect is earned. Do you have these?

I believe we all will someday face the Lord, our maker. Surely, one of the questions He will ask us in the judgment seat is an accounting of what we have done during our mortal lives. It is my prayer that you and I will hear from the Lord the words... “Well done, thou good and faithful servant”.

I am honored to have witnessed the leadership of President Cory. And although her critics have not been kind to her when they said she failed in so many ways, from my heart my sincere gratitude to a life well lived, a leader worth emulating.

Leadership is not only about improving GDP, or increasing infrastructure projects, nor lowering national debts, or balancing budget deficits … Leadership is touching lives! She has touched mine, and my resolve is now stronger, to be better in everything that I do.

To Kris, don’t worry … it’s really not goodbye. You will see your Mom again. And when that time comes, it will be for time and all eternity!



mcic/aug2009

No comments:

Post a Comment