Monday, September 6, 2010

Mama's Lullabys ...

Looking back and remembering every word and every melody, I can not help but feel gratitude for this wonderful gift my Mama has given me. 




I have sang these melodies to all my five children, to my nephews and nieces, to my friends' children when I was taking care of them, and now, absurd as it may seem, even to our pet dog Nessie ♥

Here's one simple song that I will forever remember and treasure.

A word though ... I do not really know where my Mama got these songs, or the other lullaby's she sang to us, but surely, whenever she sang or hummed them to my sisters Charry and Carla then, my eyes would close because of the feeling it brought to my heart.

"Ang Batang Buotan"

Ang batang buotan,
Garbo sa ginikanan
Sa sugo sila motuman
sa walay langan langan.

Dili maghilak
og dili magmanya
ang batang buotan
palangga sa ginikanan.

The words can be replaced ... to make it more fitting,  i guess.

For instance, way back then I would, at times, change "ginikanan" with "Mommy" (because that's what my children call me) ...



When the kids were young, Romel also sang the lullaby ... he changed 'Ginikanan" with "Daddy" ...
Funny because I didn't really realize that he knew the song. I now realize that by hearing me sing it then, he became familiar with the songs.




Here's another one:

"Rosas sa Hardin"

May rosas sa hardin,
gitanum ni Quintin;
makawagtang sa kalaay,
sa dughan maglipay.

Ang iyang katahum,
wala nay makatupong;
maanindot, maanindot
sa kanunay.


Of all the lullaby's though, the one I remember the most is Dandansoy.
I remember very vividly, every time Mama would sing it to my younger sister Charry, Charry would cry ...
Maybe because the song is about leaving someone behind. Maybe in Charry's mind then, Mama was literally saying goodbye, hence the tears (would you believe as I am writing this and recalling the words/lyrics, I too am crying?).

"Dandansoy"

Dandansoy, biyaan ko ikaw.
Pauli ako sa Payaw.
Kun galing, ikaw hidlawon,
ang Payaw, imo lang lantawon.

(I am not really sure if the lyrics are correct, but that is how I remember the song ...)



Last but not the least of Mama's lullabys is the song composed by Tito Vic Barreto entitled Kudyapi.
Mama used to sing this when she was still with PANAMIN.
The words may not be perfect, but still, it's how I remember it.

"Kudyapi"

Give me my kudyapi,
for I will sing a song;
for my beloved Bukidnon,
where life begins, and ends for us.

Give me my saluray,
for I will play a tune;
for my beloved Bukidnon,
who cares and lives for us.

Music beats deep within my heart,
the call of birds and falling rains;
the sound of living forest,
becomes a melody.

Come now my dearest one,
rest and forget your fears;
for my beloved Bukidnon,
.... (now I have forgotten the last part ... )

Oh the beauty and blessing of parenthood!

Though it's so unfortunate that there's no formal school for parenthood,
and that we only "learn the ropes" as we go-
Suffice it to say that with all the heartaches and pains and hard work involved;
Bearing and rearing children is still the most rewarding of all the undertaking there is in the world.

To Mama, thank you very much!
We live so close but we seldom see each other. This makes me so sad.
Work and family duties keep me on my toes most of the time, and so mostly, when I miss you, I just think of you and sing your songs ... and of course send you a text message or two.
I love you Ma, and I know no amount of words will be enough to make you feel how much I truly do.
I LOVE YOU ♥♥♥

And so even now, when my children are grown up and they don't really need me to sing to them anymore,
I still sing these lullabys to them ... to remind me of so many wonderful things in my childhood -
the warmth of my Mama's embrace ... the feeling of safety and security .. of being loved ...
My hope is to pass on to them something that is of great worth -
for soon they too will become mothers, and Romelson a father.
I sincerely hope when that time comes, as they hold close their children, they will remember me ... and what I taught them.

More importantly, they will remember how much I love them. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment